President-elect Donald Trump’s first cabinet appointment, Senator Jeff Sessions (R-AL) for U.S. Attorney General, is a foundational member of Mr. Trump’s cadre of climate change deniers, civil rights opponents and antagonists of immigrants and the LGBTQ community.
Sessions has a dismal record on the environment and has shown hostility toward civil rights and voting rights. It is untenable that he could be trusted to serve as the chief law enforcement officer for the nation’s bedrock civil rights and environmental laws.
But Sessions must be approved by a majority vote of the Senate. This is our chance to prevent him from stepping into this role. Tell your senator to reject Mr. Trump’s nomination and demand an attorney general who will protect the right of all Americans to environmental and civil rights protections!
Sessions’ reprehensible civil rights record and extreme views on climate and the environment include:
• Opposing nearly every piece of global warming and environmental legislation since 1997
• Supporting a resolution to roll back protections from toxic mercury—protections the Environmental Protection
Agency estimates prevent 11,000 deaths a year
• Defunding renewable and solar energy development while renewing oil and gas exploration subsidies
• Calling the Voting Rights Act “a piece of intrusive legislation” and prosecuting three civil rights workers in a baseless and malicious attempt to suppress the black vote
• Defending the idea of banning Muslims from entering the United States
• Supporting the construction of a 2,000-mile border fence or wall along the U.S. border with Mexico
• Opposing same-sex marriage
As an organization that fights in court for the right of all to clean air, clean water and healthy communities, Earthjustice opposes the appointment of someone who has shown such disregard for these fundamental protections.
To protect our environment, we must ensure that people feel safe in speaking out in its defense. A strong commitment to human rights is a core principle in the protection of our planet.
We can’t afford to be silent now. Stand in solidarity with national and global movements for civil rights and social justice. Tell your senator that Sessions’ opposition to these fundamental values makes him an unacceptable nomination for U.S. Attorney General.
December 22, 2016 Action Alert ID# 461
Add Your Voice To This Cause In A Matter Of Minutes >>